Sunday, August 16, 2009

into the woods of the north





(pictured above)Typical chainsaw work...

(Pictured above is the finished duck pen. A great deal of time went into this pen, drainage, digging, fencing, hammering. A fun project. Then there is the clipping of the wings and butchering of the drakes.)

Tomorrow I begin my hike up the north coast around Cape Reinga. I take a hand fishing line with hopes of actually catching something. I have low expectations as but it will be fun nonetheless. I spend my next 4 nights in my hammock.

As for the weather, it rains about 5-10 times a day, never for more than 10 minutes at a time. Mornings can be cool at times but it always warms up (60s-70s).

I would have done this hike about 3 weeks ago but i hurt my back. I have been fully recovered for a while now but needed to work for the family that gave me the time off to rest my back.

I will shorten my woofs from this point forward so i can maximize my time here.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the pics Smith and am quite impressed with the duck pond, but I am unsure as to why you are the one actually in it. I guess the ducks will come later. I hope that your hike goes well and that you surprise yourself with the amount of fish you catch. Just remember all of the tips dad provided us with growing up on the little pond. I just arrived back in Nashville and am so glad to be here. I am heading home this weekend to be with dad-I think we are going to play some golf. And, mom is coming tomorrow because she is flying out of Nash for Colorado on Tuesday. I looked into visas for NZ, and it doesn't look like I need one since I will only stay for 2 weeks. Miss and love you, Sally

ayura said...

Oh yes, and I particularly like the picture of you behind the bed frame. Very cute.

Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

ayura said...

Oh yes, and I particularly like the picture of you behind the bed frame. Very cute.

Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

Kyle Slatery said...

Smith, I have really enjoyed following your blog. This my first posting, but I wanted to tell you that I've been following your travels since the beginning. Just an idea...Have you thought about calling the new duck pond "The Peabody Hotel". I think it would be a great way to leave your mark, although I don't think that the Peabody ducks are headed to the slaughter house anytime soon...Hope all is well. I think that I made need to woof it sometime down the road. Sounds fun!