Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Cape Reinga Hike recap


SEEN ABOVE is the the view i had after i got off the bus. I hiked and over the point seen in pic and across the beach that followed where i spent my first night among the sand dunes.

Simply stunning 3 day hike around the cape. Certainly a trip highlight. Cloudy first day with a few showers. I knew i would need to have a substantial shelter if i wanted to remain comfortable among the wiping winds of the Tasman Sea. As you see, there were no trees for hammock so i sought shelter in the dunes SEEN BELOW . That night i ate the pippies and green lip muscles i collected at low tide earlier that day BELOW.



It was extremely gratifying to have a warm and cozy night sleep in my self made tarp dune shelter. The next morning i woke to sunshine. I snapped a few pics and was back on the trail north to the lighthouse.

It was a beautiful sunny second day. Over points and across beaches, it truly felt like i was in dream. After a few hours hike i made it to the Cape Reinga PICTURED BELOW lighthouse where i observed the violent currents of the Tasman Sea and Pacific collide.



Following the lighthouse, I was back to the trail. The next 1.5 hours were demanding but were rewarded by the remarkable view of the site from above. I arrived at site just before dark thank goodness.

(PICTURED BELOW are the sweaty pic of me in route to site and the stunning view from the trail of my second night destination.)




Upon arrival at second night campsite, which was quite nice, i noticed the lack of hammock trees only a small grouping PICTURED BELOW (i carry a hammock and tarp, no tent) It worked out well making for another warm and comfortable night sleep.




I met a french couple that second night with whom I shared dinner with. Very nice and i may end up going on a hike with damien in a month or so when im in the Gisborne region. I decided to cut my trip 5km short and get a ride from them back to Kaitaia. So it is with wet boots and dirty clothes that i bring you this report immediately off the Reinga trail. Great times. Now back to Pete's for the night, then i head south.

Other Pics from the trip...












5 comments:

ayura said...

newzealand...seems to be a fun place....
Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

Smith said...

IT is indeed, who is ayra again?

Unknown said...

You look so old and mature-have you grown up or something?

Ellen said...

Smith, your adventures look amazing. There are so many things to explore and climb on, so I can tell you're having fun. Martha told me about your blog not too long ago, and I am loving reading it. Your photos are beautiful, and I hope you had a great birthday in NZ! Love you, friend!

Anonymous said...

Hey man, that tarp shelter looks pretty sweet. How'd you get the stakes to stay in the sand? I just finished my first week of 6th grade science haha. They asked me if I wanted to teach beginning tennis next year so you'll have to come give me some more tips. Did you try to call a while back? Anyway, hope all is good. Keep those awesome pictures comin.

T