Saturday, July 11, 2009

Leaving Great Barrier Island



Its official, I just changed the date of my return to the states. Instead of August 1st, I now arrive February 7th. I try to live life with no regrets, and I knew I would always regret missing the south island during the summer months. Therefore, I stay.

I leave Great Barrier tomorrow, I will spend a night in Auckland and leave on the bus up to Kaitaia to woof/hike/Adventure. It was very gratifying to leave GBI with 76 dollars more than i had when i arrived 17 days ago. However that money is now a bus ticket. I will try to make it to Kaitai with the 4.60 dollars i have left. Just as a challenge, i dont need to but it should be interesting. I greatly look forward to the view of The Tasman Sea meeting the Pacific.

Above is a picture of the family i woofed for on Great barrier and pick of some tree climbing adventures with the boys following our beach cricket match.

As I have mentioned previously, I greatly enjoy receiving comments on the blog. If you have not made a comment yet, i hope you will so that i will know who all is following. Thanks guys.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy cow, Smith! Staying until February. You must be loving it.

Are you trying to make me jealous, are you trying to avoid real-life work, or both? (;

Either way, I think it's great and keep the pictures coming. Take comfort in the fact that you're allowing an old man to live vicariously through you!

Unknown said...

WOW! You will be staying! I am really happy for you. New Zealand looks incredible and you are doing an excellent job of sharing it all through your pictures.

I was just going through your blog with my dad and it was really entertaining watching him attempt to leave a comment...so he is "anonymous." He really enjoyed looking through your blog, particularly the woodwork photos. ;)

YOU MAKE ME WANT TO TRAVEL AGAIN!

Smith said...

Paul> i just know i would regret cutting my trip short. Also,throw in the fact that there are no pressing matters in which i must race home to. The decision made itself quite easy.

Elizabeth said...

I am quite excited for you and a bit jealous! What a beautiful place, wonderful adventure, and great time for you to do something like this! and now you are staying even longer that's so exciting. i have enjoyed reading about your experience and seeing your pictures, just amazing. i'm pretty sure you have assured me that i should visit this country someday!

Blair said...

hey smith! martha just gave me your blog address, and it was so fun for me to get to read all about your adventures! it sounds like you are having an absolute blast. i am so jealous. im excited you decided to extend the trip too--you are only young once! miss you and am so happy you are having so much fun!!

Unknown said...

Hey, Smith...I saw on the news that there was an earthquake off the coast of New Zealand...did you feel anything?