Tuesday, June 9, 2009

the night before it begins


The wait is nearly over.  I leave for NZ tomorrow afternoon.  It hasn't truly hit me yet that I will be in such a distant place so soon but it will hit me soon enough.  As you can imagine, I greatly look forward to my journey overseas and eagerly await the adventures to come.  

Pretty much all of my trip is unplanned.  I have a list of places i want to see, mountains i want to climb and hikes that i want to go on.  But as for a schedule or obligations of any kind; there are none.  

I will be living out of my backpack.  Everything I need will be in it.  I enjoyed the task of simplifying everything i own into the bare essentials.  I have a small stove and will be living in a hammock. 

When I am not on the trail, I will be staying with NZ families.  There is a great deal of organic farming in New Zealand and I will be working 4 to 5 hours a day in exchange for room and board.  It is in this way I will travel the two islands of some of the most beautiful countryside on planet earth.     

No comments: